So as I mentioned in my last post, I’m going to do another fitness show towards the end of August. I’m just shy of 13 weeks at this point, and I’m making a deliberate decision to move myself through prep in the least non-traumatic way possible.
My commitment is to habitualize myself into some upgraded behaviors that will get me down to show weight without the typical dramas of competition prep. I’m fully aware that this may not work well, and I could end up not looking very competitive when I hit the stage, but I’m determined to see if I can create the results I want using the behaviors I think are healthy and some-what sustainable in order to reach my goal.
My goal, is not to be dehydrated, exhausted and 10% body fat on the day of the show. My goal is to look fit, present well and enjoy the process and the day of the event. Because that’s what it’s all about for me. Nothing more.
My first week of prep starts with creating an environment that’s going to support my process. So, looking at my list of habits I plan to incorporate, I want to start with getting temptation out of the way, and begin a more strategic approach to food and fitness.
I’ve already written out my fitness plan for week 1. This may change if I decide to bring on a coach, but at this point, I’m starting off with a series of weighted circuits, so I can maximize my workout time and combine cardio with my weight training as much as possible (because like everyone else I don’t actually like to workout, so less time = happier me).
Today I’ll also create some new protein snacks that I can munch on if I get hungry. Unlike most competitors, I don’t plan to do the 6 to 8 small meals per day as I don’t need to worry about keeping blood sugar levels steady. Because I’m already an efficient fat burner, I’m going to focus on dialing that up instead. So the goal is to maintain 3 to 4 meals a day, but be ready with a healthy fat/protein concentrated snack if hunger strikes between meals.
So to round up my random thoughts, here’s my goals for week 1:
- Start my focused fitness plan (upper body circuit today!)
- Start tracking food on My Fitness Pal so I can develop a better awareness of what I’m eating and how much I need to eat to keep hunger under control
- Clean up pantry/fridge and remove temptations. Hubby can hide his chocolate where I won’t find it.
- Keep supplement stack out on the counter so I can’t miss it and won’t forget to take it
- Pre-plan some yummy protein/fat snacks for hungry or hurried moments.
- Start collecting some inspirational images of competitors I admire and continue to do research/reading on my approach to fat loss throughout the week.
- Be aware of sitting for too long and start standing and moving as much as possible!
Have you ever considered how your personal habits and environment helps or hinders your health goals? What can you do right now that will improve your situation?