Head's up, there might be affiliate links ahead!
Artichoke & Cauliflower = Creamy
Before I talk about how this soup tastes, I want to assure you that the texture won’t disappoint. The fiber-rich cauliflower and artichokes give it a rich texture, even without the coconut milk. It’s perfect as a meal or for your next round of meal prep!
This is also the perfect recipe for those of you who are braving the Whole30. I tried that once. It ended up being more like the Whole 27 because I broke down and went hog-wild on a bunch of samples at Costco one afternoon. I just couldn’t take it anymore!
I learned from that experience, that dairy isn’t my friend. When I have more than just a dollop of cream in my coffee, it makes me cranky and want to nap. I learned the same thing about grains. They’re just not my jam.
Whole 30 Is Not For Everyone
While I do see a lot of benefits to doing a Whole 30, I will say, I don’t think it’s for everyone. If you’re someone who gets even a little obsessive about food or starts to crave the very thing you’ve promised to restrict for a month, then it’s probably not your best option. I think for every person that this protocol has worked for, there’s equally as many who have lost their mind trying to follow it.
For me, following a much loser guideline is much more sustainable and less crazy-making. I like paleo for the most part, although I do love me some creamer in my coffee and an occasional bite of cheese. I would say my food philosophy is more “NSNG” or in lay terms – no sugars, no grains. It’s simple, broad enough that I can work with it anywhere, and yet captures the things I need to stay away from most.
What about you? Have you found a way of eating that works for you? Or do you not even think about guidelines and restrictions?
Cauliflower Artichoke Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 med onion finely chopped
- 12 ounces cauliflower rice
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts canned or frozen
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut or Braggs amino or just use soy sauce if you have
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- garnish with pepitas or fresh basil
Instructions for Paleo Cauliflower & Artichoke Soup
- Put the coconut oil and chopped onion in a pot over medium heat. cook until onions are translucent.
- Add artichokes and cauliflower rice. Stir well and let cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinager, coconut aminos, lemon juice and veggie stock.
- Bring to a quick boil, then immediately reduce heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh basil or pepitas!